Secondary School Admissions Policies – Boys
About 90% of the boys in our school go on to St. Aidan’s CBS Whitehall, Ard Scoil Rís CBS Griffith Avenue, or St. David’s Secondary school in Artane. It is important that parents familiarise themselves with the admission policies and criteria used by the schools to fill their quotas.
The following summary information is correct at this time, November 2015, and is given as a guide only. For full details, parents should contact the relevant schools.
St. Aidan’s (120 places max, varies)
There is a significant change to the admission policy that parents need to be aware of. This change was brought in for the next academic year and subsequent years.
Allocation of places is based on:
- “Brothers of present and past pupils;
- Sons of members of the teaching staff of St. Aidan’s CBS;
- Boys from Holy Child BNS Whitehall.
- Boys living in the Whitehall/ Larkhill parish
- Any remaining places will be offered firstly to pupils randomly selected from Our Lady of Victories, Ballymun, St. Fiachra’s Beaumont, St. Patrick’s BNS Drumcondra in no particular order and then to pupils randomly selected from schools not listed above.”
A copy of the enrolment procedure and admission policy is available from the school.
Application forms are usually distributed in St. Fiachra’s in the first week of September and completed application forms are to be submitted by 4pm on the last Friday of September.
Ard Scoil Rís (96 places approx)
The principle points of the admissions policy are as follows:
In the event of the school having more applicants than places available, the following criteria shall apply:
- Brothers of pupils in the school;
- Brothers / Sons of past pupils;
- Sons of teachers in the school;
- Boys verifiably living in the parish of Marino on the date of application.
- Should the quota of boys for the year be exceeded by the above criteria, the decision on intake shall be determined by a lottery of the above applicants.
Should the quota of boys for the year NOT be reached by the above process, the decision on the remaining places shall be determined by a lottery of all other applicants. All lotteries are overseen by an external invigilator.
Enrolments will be accepted between the 1st May and 30th September each year. Application should be made on the school application form only. Forms are usually distributed to the boys in our school in May and are available from the office at Ard Scoil Rís from May onwards.
St. David’s CBS Artane (96 places approx)
An assessment is held each year of all incoming students in order to cater for their individual needs. Parents who are considering sending their sons to Saint David’s are always welcome to visit the school to view the facilities and speak to members of staff. Application forms are available form the office in St. David’s at any time and are distributed to fifth class boys in May/June.
Should you wish your son to become a student of Saint David’s, please telephone the School Secretary during schools hours on 8315322, or apply in writing to the Principal, St. David’s CBS, Artane, Dublin 5 at any time.
Other Schools: Chanel, CUS, Belvedere, Rosmini, St. Paul’s: Interested parents should contact these schools directly for information and application forms.
We will inform you when the schools have an open night.
NB: The Board of Management, staff and Parent’s Council of St. Fiachra’s have no role to play in the admission and enrolment process other than facilitating the secondary schools in distributing the application forms.
These policies may change. They are accurate at time of uploading to the school website. Parents should check with the secondary school to see if there is any change.